3 Oct 2008

RITUAL KILLING: Suspect a 'staunch follower of banned sect'

NST Online - October 4, 2008

by V. Shuman

KUALA LUMPUR: One of the suspects involved in the "treatment" which claimed the lives of a middle-aged couple was said to be a staunch follower of a banned movement which practised cult teachings.

Relatives and friends reciting prayers for Mohd Ibrahim Kader Mydin and Rosina S.M. Mydin Pillay at the Pandan Indah mosque.
Relatives and friends reciting prayers for Mohd Ibrahim Kader Mydin and Rosina S.M. Mydin Pillay at the Pandan Indah mosque.

Several of the suspect's siblings had distanced themselves from him after their repeated calls for him to give up his beliefs went unheeded.

One of the siblings, Mohd Ali Kader Mydin, 48, who came from Penang yesterday to take care of funeral arrangements, said the incident did not surprise him but added that it was tragic that it claimed the lives of his brother and sister-in-law.

The dead were identified as 47-year-old Mohd Ibrahim Kader Mydin (picture right), and his wife Rosina S.M. Mydin Pillay, 41.

Ali revealed that all those involved in the bizarre "treatment" which went horribly wrong, were siblings and their families.

The main suspect was the elder brother of Ibrahim. Arrested along with the suspect were two of the suspect's sons, aged 21 and 23, and Ibrahim's 17-year-old son.

"This is what is so tragic. I have lost one brother while the other could face murder charges. Added to that is the fact that their children have also been detained," said Ali at the Kuala Lumpur Hospital mortuary yesterday.

All four suspects in custody are facing charges of murder and abetment.

Ali said he stopped speaking to his brother, who is being held by police, for several years after a big row.

"The argument was over his involvement in the banned religious sect. I told him it was wrong and that the movement was also banned by the government.

"He, however, told me to mind my own business."

The movement was banned by the government in 1993 for spreading deviationist teachings.

A photograph of the movement's leader was found hanging in the living room of the suspect's house where the murders took place.

Now Ali has taken it upon himself to take the surviving members of both families under his care.

The ambulance driver said he will take both families back to Penang.

Ali also visited his 15-year-old niece who was also badly injured in the ritual. The girl, who was initially in the intensive care unit, was yesterday transferred to the general ward.

Ibrahim, Rosina and their three children from Pandan Indah had visited the suspect and his family at their Sri Sarawak flat in Jalan Imbi on Hari Raya.

While there, Ibrahim complained that he was having problems giving up his smoking habit while Rosina complained of a liver ailment.

It was learnt that the suspect's 23-year-old son, then suggested that they undergo a ritual which involved being beaten.

All 11 families members then took helmets and broomsticks and started beating each other. This went on for about an hour.

When the ritual ended, Ibrahim, Rosina and their 15-year-old niece, who is the main suspect's daughter, remained unconscious.

An ambulance was called some six hours later by which time Ibrahim and Rosina had succumbed to head injuries. The girl was rushed to the hospital.

Investigations later revealed that the suspect's son, who initiated the ritual, had a history of mental problems.

Ali claimed both bodies yesterday and took them to the Al-Azim mosque in Pandan Indah for prayers.

They will be buried at the Air Itam Muslim cemetery in Penang today.

This article was found at:


No comments:

Post a Comment