The Independent - Ireland May 12, 2011
Fury as church withholds abuse complaints from own watchdog
By John Cooney, Indpendent Religion Correspondent
THE Government is under intense pressure from outraged victims of clerical child abuse to order an immediate national probe of all 26 Catholic Church dioceses as well as religious and missionary orders.
The renewed calls for the State to subject the entire Catholic Church to a statutory investigation followed revelations yesterday that church authorities withheld a staggering 219 abuse complaints from its own independent watchdog.
The National Board for the Safeguarding of Children in the Catholic Church (NBSCCC) revealed that its final checks found that from April 1, 2010, until March 31, 2011, the actual number of complaints about sexual, physical or emotional abuse totalled 272.
The board, which in December 2009 was instructed by the bishops to conduct a comprehensive national audit of clerical child abuse, was initially told of only 53 new allegations.
In a further development, it was also revealed that the bishops and religious leaders later placed legal obstacles to impede the board from conducting its audit, which was widely expected to reveal the actual horrendous scale of clerical paedophilia in Ireland.
Dioceses and congregations claimed that data protection concerns prevented their participating in the audit, a position they have now modified. They have now agreed to cooperate with the board under strict confidentiality until its findings are eventually published.
Board chairmen John Morgan and chief executive Ian Elliott told a news conference yesterday that they would not be resigning "in the interest of children". Walking away does not solve the problem, they said.
But they admitted that their remit of compiling a national audit of all 26 dioceses had been delayed because of "legal difficulties" posed by bishops and religious orders, and that it was difficult to break down "a culture of clericalism".
As part of a confidential compromise agreement the board has begun an audit of three unnamed dioceses, but the process will take longer than first expected.
Last night the head of the One in Four victims' support group claimed that Mr Elliott's team was "clearly being impeded by forces within the church in their monitoring", and accused the church of consistently failing to reveal the full story of child sexual abuse until it was forced to do so.
Chief executive Maeve Lewis called on the Fine Gael-Labour Government to extend the work of the Murphy Commission of Investigation to the entire church in Ireland.
"Perhaps we need to expand the Murphy Commission's work to every diocese and congregation in the country if we are ever to appreciate the full extent of clerical sexual abuse," Ms Lewis said.
In November 2009 the Murphy report highlighted the horrific scale of abuse and cover-ups in the archdiocese of Dublin, which led to the church mandating its own board into conducting an internal national probe.
The Murphy Commission's remit was extended to the Cork diocese of Cloyne after Mr Elliott found that the then bishop, John Magee, had failed to implement national guidelines and had put children at risk of being abused.
Publication of the Cloyne report, which was expected before Easter, is still being delayed by legal difficulties relating to one cleric who faces a criminal trial this summer.
Last night an angry victim of abuse in the archdiocese of Dublin, Andrew Madden, called for Children's Minister Frances FitzGerald to introduce legislation to put the Children First Guidelines on a statutory basis as a matter of absolute urgency.
Earlier, at a news conference in a Dublin city-centre hotel, Mr Elliott said that this year's figure of 272 allegations was an increase on last year's number of 197.
The vast majority of these cases are historic in nature and a precise breakdown was not currently available, he said.
Of the 272 allegations, 166 were against religious orders and 106 against priests in dioceses.
A total of 86 related to dead clerics or religious; 12 who are still in ministry and 174 who had been or were removed from ministry, retired or have left the clerical state through a process of laicisation.
PressTV - Ireland May 16, 2011
Irish priests' child abuse ups by 38%
The number of allegations of child abuse at the hands of priests in the Irish Catholic Church has increased by 38 percent, says a group, which aims to protect the safety of children.
The National Board for the Safeguarding of Children in the Catholic Church (NBSCCC), said in its 2010 annual report that there had been 272 new allegations of abuse between April 2010 and March 2011.
The number of allegations - which include physical, emotional and sexual abuse - was up significantly as compared to 1976 cases last year, said the report.
According to the report, 166 of the allegations had been received by religious orders, with the other 106 received by officers of the country's 26 Catholic dioceses.
The report also said that 12 of the people against whom allegations were made are still in ministry; 174 of the alleged perpetrators have either retired, left the clerical state or been removed from ministry.
It said that while the NBSCCC's National Office expected to be informed about all allegations at the same time as they were reported to civil authorities, this was not “the practice across the Church”.
The body also reported that it was unable to continue its review of each of the 26 Dioceses, aimed at ensuring that the Church's current policies on safeguarding children were properly handled.
CEO Ian Elliott explained that the three bodies sponsoring the review - the Bishops' Conference, the Conference of Religious in Ireland, and the Irish Missionary Union - had received legal advice not to cooperate with it.
This was in spite of the fact that the three same organisations had been involved in setting up the review in the first place.
Children's minister Frances Fitzgerald said she was “gravely concerned to learn of the very serious difficulties and obstacles” seen by the board, and remarked that “anything less than full cooperation… cannot be tolerated.”
Clerical abuse survivor Andrew Madden said it was “totally unacceptable” that the NBSCCC was not able to relay its findings “into the public domain without the consent of Catholic Bishops”.
Madden also criticised the agreement reached by the NBSCCC with the sponsoring bodies, which saw it refuse to comment publicly on the findings of its reviews, and called on Fitzgerald to introduce legislation giving legal effect to the Children First guidelines as “a matter of absolute urgency”.
This article was found at:
Archbishop of Dublin earns respect from clergy crimes survivors but is shunned by Irish Bishops and the Pope
Leaked confidential letter reveals Vatican's intention to prevent reporting of abuse to criminal authorities
Irish government rejects calls for Murphy Commission to investigate every diocese in Ireland for child abuse
Murphy report reveals Vatican and Irish bishops enabled Dublin priest to rape hundreds of boys for decades
Previously censored chapter of Murphy report showing shocking abuse and cover-up by Irish clergy to be published next week
Irish priest convicted of repeated rape of boy, subject of missing chapter in report showing shameful neglect of Dublin archdiocese
Dublin Archbishop says church self-centred, arrogant, failed children and rarely empathised with their pain
Publishing Dublin archdiocese abuse report is crucial for victims
Catholic doctrine of "mental reservation" allowed senior clergy to lie and cover-up abuse without being guilty in the church's eyes
Irish Bishops apologize to abuse victims, but deny doctrine of 'Mental Reservation' used to cover up evil
Report on Dublin clergy abuse finds Catholic hierarchy covered up child abuse to protect Church's reputation
Two more Irish bishops named in Dublin clergy abuse report resign, one still refuses to accept blame
Irish Bishop who reluctantly resigned over abuse scandal claimed he was inexperienced, but was professor of moral theology
Pope said to be "disturbed and distressed" over Irish clergy abuse, but no mention of Vatican's role in cover-up
Sinead O'Connor, a survivor of severe child abuse, says Vatican should be subject of criminal investigation for covering up crimes
Vatican invites public to contact team investigating Irish clergy crimes, tells envoys they must report new allegations to police
Clergy abuse survivor groups troubled, dismayed, insulted by Pope's picks to investigate Irish church
Irish clergy abuse survivors outraged over Pope's refusal to fire bishops and take full responsibility for cover-up
Irish abuse survivors criticize Boston Cardinal for celebrating mass with two bishops named in report for enabling child abuse
Pope's call for one day sex abuse summit with cardinals met with scepticism by survivors tired of talk and little action
Catholic survivors of clergy crimes protest at Vatican, systematic sex abuse of children is crime against humanity
Sinead O'Connor says Vatican is nest of devils, Pope and top tier should report to police and ask to be prosecuted
Irish head of Amnesty International says addressing past human rights violations prevents future abuse
Irish priest calls for Archbishops and investigators to pin blame on Vatican for central role in global clergy crimes crisis